Russia, just like its predecessor the Soviet Union, continues its policy of modernizing its military weaponry, seemingly in an effort to outdo the US military development program.
As of date here are Russia’s latest weapons:
- The AVANGARD HYPERSONIC GLIDE VEHICLE, which was developed due to its maneuverability and its versatility. It can change its maneuver during flight. This avoids being an easy target for American defense systems. It can be fitted by either or both conventional and nuclear payloads. See https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/missile-threat-and-proliferation/missile-proliferation/russia/avangard-hypersonic-glide-vehicle/
- The SARMAT INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC MISSILE (ICBM), which Pres Putin claims is of “unprecedented power.” This ICBM is set to be operational in 2020. See https://thediplomat.com/2019/07/russia-to-conclude-testing-phase-of-rs-28-sarmat-icbm-in-2020/
- The PERESVET LASER MISSILE, which is an air defense weapon. Pres Putin said in a speech this year that the Russian Army already has laser weapons. Laser beams are of course far more economical and far more accurate than your conventional standard anti-missiles. The Russian Deputy Minister of Defence, Yuri Borisov, defended Russia’s ambitions by stating that America also has prototypes of laser weapons, “capable of destroying lightly armored vehicles and damaging manpower.” See https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/vlk.htm
- The KINZHAL HYPERSONIC BALLISTIC MISSILE (KHBM), which has a range of 2,000km and can carry both conventional and nuclear payloads. It is described as a deterrent against the European NATO defense forces, specifically warships, and can be deployed on superfast MIG airplanes. It can travel at a speed of MACH 10- which is MORE THAN 12,000 Km/h By way of comparison- MACH 1 is reached when a plane breaches the sound barrier. The KHBM is ten times as fast as sound.See https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/missile-threat-and-proliferation/missile-proliferation/russia/kh-47m2-kinzhal-dagger/
- The BUREVESTNIK NUCLEAR-POWERED CRUISE MISSILE is a highly potent weapon that has been described as the “doomsday weapon”. This missile is still being tested, but if it gets put into action it would be powered by a very small nuclear reactor, allowing it to fly practically unlimited distances at very high speeds. However, they are highly visible to sensors, thus the BURVESTNIK skim close to the surface, allowing them to hug terrain and maneuver around obstacles. This means that Western defense radars that are ground-based may only have a detection angle on them when they’re only a few dozen miles away. Experts say that the BUREVESTNIK is still far from being operational. But if and when it does become operational it will certainly be possible of being a “doomsday weapon. See https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/russias-nuclear-powered-‘skyfall’-missile-unlimited-range-doomsday-weapon-74156
- The POSEIDON nuclear-powered, unmanned underwater drone is described US experts as “a new intercontinental, nuclear-armed, nuclear-powered, undersea autonomous torpedo” It will be carried by Russia’s first nuclear-powered submarine that was shown to the world this year. See https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/russias-first-poseidon-underwater-drone-carrying-submarine-to-be-launched-in-2019/
In the Biblical book of Ezekiel, it talks about Gog, Magog, Meshek, and Tubal, that will play important roles at the end of time.
Scholars generally understand that Magog refers to a nation or group of peoples, located far north of Israel (Ex 38:15, Ez 39:2) Gog is a leader in Magog. He will plan to attack what many believe is Israel, but God will defeat this Russian leader (Ez 38:4, 19-23, Ez 39:3-6)
Historically, the term “Magog” may refer to a group of people who lived near the Black and Caspian seas in ancient times. Some of this area is now controlled by Russia, and of course previously the Soviet Union.
So the two chapters of Ezekiel 38 and 39 refer to a nation from northern Asia attacking Israel. During the Cold War, when the Soviet Union was around and displayed so much power, it was thought to represent Magog. Now, with Russia exerting power in the region, the theory continues, even as Moscow courts friendship with Muslim nations.
So the Bible predicts that a great northern power will align with many nations to form a powerful military force against Israel. It specifically mentions Persia (Iran), Put (Sudan), Cush (Libya), Gomer (Turkey), and Beth Togamah (part of Turkey or Syria). Most of these nations are in modern times strongly Islamic, some militantly so, and could well end up in coalition with Russia and other super-powers like China, against Israel. In this battle, Russia is sure to employ her latest military weapons such as the six developments we saw here.
Born-again believers however need not fear and can hold onto God’s promises. In Matthew 24: 6 we read “And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.” And John 14: 6 says “Let not your heart be troubled, ye believe in God, believe also in me [Jesus Christ]” Are you a believer?