The NEW KING JAMES VERSION
By Pastor James L. Melton
We will now give some special attention to one of the deadliest translations on the market–the New King James Version, first published in 1979. It is a deadly version because it’s editors have succeeded in deceiving the body of Christ on two main points: (1) That it’s a King James Bible (which is a lie), and (2) that it’s based on the Textus Receptus (which is only a partial truth). The following information should be helpful when dealing with Christians who have been swindled by the Laodicean lovers of filthy lucre:
1. The text of the NKJV is copyrighted by Thomas Nelson Publishers, while there is no copyright today on the text of the KJV. If your KJV has maps or notes, then it may have a copyright, but the text itself does not.
2. There’s nothing “new” about the NKJV logo. It is a “666” symbol of the pagan trinity which was used in the ancient Egyptian mysteries. It was also used by Satanist Aleister Crowley around the turn of this century. The symbol can be seen on the New King James Bible, on certain rock albums (like Led Zeppelin’s), or you can see it on the cover of such New Age books as The Aquarian Conspiracy. (See Riplinger’s tract on the NKJV.)
3. It is estimated that the NKJV makes over 100,000 translation changes, which comes to over eighty changes per page and about three changes per verse! A great number of these changes bring the NKJV in line with the readings of such Alexandrian perversions as the NIV and the RSV. Where changes are not made in the text, subtle footnotes often give credence to the Westcott and Hort Greek Text.
4. While passing off as being true to the Textus Receptus, the NKJV IGNORES the Receptus over 1,200 times.
5. In the NKJV, there are 22 omissions of “hell”, 23 omissions of “blood”, 44 omissions of “repent”, 50 omissions of “heaven”, 51 omissions of “God”, and 66 omissions of “Lord”. The terms “devils”, “damnation”, “JEHOVAH”, and “new testament” are completely omitted.
6. The NKJV demotes the Lord Jesus Christ. In John 1:3, the KJV says that all things were made “by” Jesus Christ, but in the NKJV, all things were just made “through” Him. The word “Servant” replaces “Son” in Acts 3:13 and 3:26. “Servant” replaces “child” in Acts 4:27 and 4:30. The word “Jesus” is omitted from Mark 2:15, Hebrews 4:8, and Acts 7:45.
7. The NKJV confuses people about salvation. In Hebrews 10:14 it replaces “are sanctified” with “are being sanctified”, and it replaces “are saved” with “are being saved” in I Corinthians 1:18 and II Corinthians 2:15. The words “may believe” have been replaced with “may continue to believe” in I John 5:13. The old straight and “narrow” way of Matthew 7:14 has become the “difficult” way in the NKJV.
8. In II Corinthians 10:5 the KJV reads “casting down imaginations”, but the NKJV reads “casting down arguments”. The word “thought”, which occurs later in the verse, matches “imaginations”, not “arguments”. This change weakens the verse.
9. The KJV tells us to reject a “heretick” after the second admonition in Titus 3:10. The NKJV tells us to reject a “divisive man”. How nice! Now the Alexandrians and Ecumenicals have justification for rejecting anyone they wish to label as “divisive men”.
10. According to the NKJV, no one would stoop so low as to “corrupt” God’s word. No, they just “peddle” it (II Cor. 2:17). The reading matches the Alexandrian versions.
11. Since the NKJV has “changed the truth of God into a lie”, it has also changed Romans 1:25 to read “exchanged the truth of God for the lie”. This reading matches the readings of the new perversions, so how say ye it’s a King James Bible?
12. The NKJV gives us no command to “study” God’s word in II Timothy 2:15.
13. The word “science” is replaced with “knowledge” in I Timothy 6:20, although “science” has occurred in every edition of the KJV since 1611! How say ye it’s a King James Bible?
14. The Jews “require” a sign, according to I Corinthians 1:22 (and according to Jesus Christ – John 4:48), but the NKJV says they only “request” a sign. They didn’t “request” one when signs first appeared in Exodus 4, and there are numerous places throughout the Bible where God gives Israel signs when they haven’t requested anything (Exo. 4, Exo. 31:13, Num. 26:10, I Sam. 2:34, Isa. 7:10-14, Luke 2:12, etc). They “require” a sign, because signs are a part of their national heritage.
15. The King James reading in II Corinthians 5:17 says that if any man is in Christ he is a new “creature”, which matches the words of Christ in Mark 16:15. The cross reference is destroyed in the NKJV, which uses the word “creation.”
16. As a final note, we’d like to point out how the NKJV is very inconsistent in it’s attempt to update the language of the KJV. The preface to the NKJV states that previous “revisions” of the KJV have “sought to keep abreast of changes in English speech”, and also that they too are taking a “further step toward this objective”. However, when taking a closer look at the language of the NKJV, we find that oftentimes they are stepping BACKWARDS! Please note a few examples of how well the NKJV has “kept abreast of the changes in the English language”:
SCRIPTURE KJV NKJV
little rivers rivulets Psalms 43:1 Judge Vindicate Psalms 139:23 thoughts anxieties Isaiah 28:1 fat verdant Amos 5:21 smell savor Matthew 26:7 box flask Luke 8:31 the deep the abyss John 10:41 did performed Luke 19:11-27 pounds minas John 19:9 judgement hall Praetorium Acts 1:18 bowels entrails Acts 18:12 deputy proconsul Acts 21:38 uproar insurrection Acts 27:30 boat skiff Hebrews 12:8 bastard illegitimate